Moving out of Tasmania can be an exciting experience. There are new environments to adjust to, new friends to be made and a world of opportunities available on the mainland that aren't open to you on the Apple Isle.

However, the mainland is home to seven different state and territory governments. Once you move across the Bass Strait, you will need to notify the local government in your new home that you have arrived.

Most interstate migrants know that they need to change their driver's licences and car registration over to their new state of residence. Some requirements for interstate settlers are less obvious, though.

Here are four oft-forgotten bureaucratic processes you will need to follow when you make your move.

Enrolling to Vote

It is a legal requirement in all states and territories that Australian citizens aged 18 years and over are enrolled to vote.

When moving house within Tasmania, updating your electoral enrolment is a relatively simple affair. It is done automatically when you update your address on your driver's licence.

However, when moving out of Tasmania, the procedure is more complex. New residents of New South Wales, for example, will need to fill out a fresh enrolment form.

Many voters forget to check their electoral enrolment until a state or federal election draws near, by which time it is often too late to make changes to the roll. Don't get caught out and risk a fine. Check with your new state's electoral commission for their requirements as soon as you have settled into your new home.

Pet Registration

Moving interstate can be an exciting experience for pets, as well. The legal requirements for registering domestic cats and dogs differ for each council area, and may not be the same as the requirements in Tasmania.

For example, in Tasmania, cats do not need to be registered or even desexed, although councils strongly recommend owners carry out the latter to prevent unwanted litters.

However, over in Western Australia, all domestic cats need to be both registered and desexed, and owners face $200 on-the-spot fines for failing to do either of these.

Before you leave Tasmania, make sure you locate or obtain proof of your pet's desexing and microchipping, as you may be required to provide these certificates to your new local council on arrival in your new state of residence.

Get a Copy of Your Pubic Hospital Records

Despite recent moves to establish national e-health records, state and territory public health systems do not have links with each other.

If you or your family has had treatment in a Tasmanian public hospital or health facility, you will need to apply for copies of your records under the Personal Information Protection Act 2004 before you move interstate.

This step is particularly important if you have an ongoing condition that will need to be managed by a specialist in your new state of residence. Your new doctor will likely ask for your full clinical history in order to ensure continuity of care, so it will be helpful to have a copy of your records on hand.

Changing Schools

Changing schools within Tasmania is simple, as all schools operate under the same education system.

However, each state and territory has different school starting ages, so when you move interstate, you may find your children are placed in different year levels than they were in their Tasmanian school.

For example, a child turning five on 1 February would be placed in kindergarten in Tasmania, but the same student would find themselves in the higher level of Prep if in Victoria.

The best way to ease the transition between education systems is to obtain an Interstate Student Data Transfer Note from the principal of your Tasmanian school before leaving. This document contains a range of important information that will be invaluable to your child's new teachers.

It seems there is so much to keep track of when moving interstate. For more tips on keeping track of things when moving across the Bass Strait, check out the interstate moving guides written by the specialists at Price's Removals & Storage.